Saturday, January 16, 2021

The Bowl Constellation

 

Image by Lena Helfinger from Pixabay

I can’t see many stars in the night sky here, but I can look out over the valley floor and see hundreds of lights shimmering in the dark, constellations of human activity. The patterns mostly geometrical, match our need for order and straight lines. But sometimes another pattern emerges.

Framed between the houses, a patch of valley floor holds the Bowl constellation. This bowl of lights has two drops of water hovering above it and shimmering water within. It’s the water gathered from the great Water Bearer in the sky. Aquarius pours out his gifts as we enter his age. It’s up to us humans to accept them, use them.

It’s up to me to turn around, look within, find those gifts, and use them, but so often I stop short of really putting myself out there. And I can’t see what’s truly possible because I’ll only know once the results are out there. When others reflect their experience of what I share, then I’ll know what is possible, and it will ripple beyond what I can see.

The light pollution of the city masks the Milky Way, billions of distant stars whose light reaches us when they may be mere memory. But their light pierces the sky still. When it hits the human eye. we become one with the past, with the stars whose dust lives on as us. This moment when past and present meet, inspires. We look up, hold out our bowls to capture gifts from the sky, from the past so we may create the future. Hail to the Water Bearer. And hail to you who honors those gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment