Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Resurrection of the Holy Fool, Rising of the Phoenix




This year Easter falls on April Fool’s Day. As some celebrate the resurrection of the JC, I’ll be celebrating the Holy Fool and the fire that brings new life.

The Holy Fool leaps into the unknown and approaches life with beginner’s mind. There is an innocence and acceptance in attitude. Life is to be lived fully. As I come out of the fog of grief and just plain exhaustion from the events of last year, I feel reborn. I embrace the Holy Fool within.

Even as the fog clears, the pain is still with me but arises less often. Now the pain feels as though it has purpose. It leads me to the love that was always there for my mother. It keeps me awake to the pain of others. Compassion has grown deeper still within my heart.

To be ground down by pain and grief is to know that you will rise again. In allowing yourself to feel it all you are the phoenix who burns itself so it may be made new.

Phoenix came to me in the form of a mandala I was drawn to in a book by Lisa Tenzin-Dolma called Healing Mandalas. That day Phoenix appeared again in the pages of a novel I was reading and a book about women and healing. Out of the ashes I am reborn, resurrected from a state of numbness. The only real death is the one we choose in this life. For what we perceive as death is just a part of the process of life.

I choose life. I am Phoenix rising from the ashes of the past. I am the Holy Fool choosing to make every moment new. The good news isn’t that a particular person in history rose from the dead. The good news is that we can rise and be reborn in every moment. We are Holy Fools moving towards the unknown with joy. We are Phoenix setting our life on fire in order to be reborn into the eternity that is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment