Saturday, March 7, 2020

Bless the Past

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay


I’ve been delving into the past more lately. The memories rise up as I work on the memoir. My friend Crow shows up at the beginning and end of the story. I’m exploring the time between the five years before my father died and the time I left Nova Scotia to come here to California to be with my soon-to-be husband.

So much would unfold in those years. Those growing years rushed by until they didn’t. Stagnation set in after my father died. It took me a long time to emerge from the confusion and even now, I find myself drifting along though the book will end with my realization of self-agency.

I bless the past even with all its challenges and sorrows. It couldn’t have unfolded any other way. We all reacted and responded in the only way we could at the time. To see it in retrospect allows you to realize this if you let it.

Too often we kick ourselves for not having done something else. But if we had done something else, there is so much that would have never been. As I let that settle into my bones, I realize we can let retrospection be the pathway to forgiveness. We can open our hearts and accept what was and finally bless the past for it brought us to this moment.

And in this moment the sun is shining and the birds and bees are zooming by my window in a place I love. In this moment all is renewed. Spring is stirring in the wind and in my heart. I can look back now and see all the blessings that will carry me forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment